Friday, October 30, 2009

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

It was a seriously stormy night on Thursday, so we decided to stay in and carve our pumpkins. I forgot how much work that was - especially when you don't have a mom around to lay out the newspaper, cook the pumpkins seeds and clean up the mess. We miss you, Moms!

We got down to it and noticed that our pumpkins were the thickest we had ever seen. I could barely get the knife through it. Recipe for losing a finger, but I made it through safely.









Our different styles were very apparent early on in the process. Kyle is an uber-perfectionist, always focusing on high quality. (aka OCD!) He used a stencil of an elaborate picture of wolves howling at the moon and took an hour to carve a beautiful masterpiece. I, on the other hand, am what you might call a "good-enough-er." My mission is to get things done and move on to the next task so I'm generally okay with average. (Sorry, Dad.) Accordingly, my pumpkin was finished in 20 minutes and looks like something a grade-school child would do. (I've heard of "patience" before, I just don't know that we've ever met.) We're each special in our own unique way. :)





I'm the first to admit that my brothers got all the artistic talent in the family. They have more talent in their pinky fingers than I have in my entire being. I tried to do Jack from The Nightmare Before Christmas. You see it, right?!?!

We did finish off a successful evening with the best part about carving pumpkins anyway ...


No comments: