Sunday, October 11, 2009

Give Me a W!


So, as most of you know, we're down in Arkansas so that I can work on our General Mills team that supports Walmart, our biggest customer. However, you have yet to hear me blog about it because, quite frankly, it's not the most exciting part of our lives. Here's your first, and probably only, posting about the retail giant.

Many of you have heard about it before - the Walmart Saturday Morning Meeting. Back in the day, they were held every Saturday, attendance was required by all Home Office associates and they ruthlessly drilled into sales numbers and performance metrics. Hard core.

Gradually they have eased off of that approach and the Saturday Morning Meeting is now held once a month, Home Office associates are strongly encouraged to attend (and can bring family and friends) and they are basically a Walmart Pep Rally. Literally, they do the Walmart Cheer, bring in celebrities, and generally celebrate what they do for their customer around the globe.
.
I felt I needed to "check the box" at some point during my time in this role, so I met a friend at 7am to experience the 2-hour love fest.

Here are the guests from this week - Captian Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger (gave me chills to see him and hear his story ... he got a ginormous standing ovation) and Faith Hill (launching a fragrance line that seems a little too high class for the typical Walmart shopper.)





Suffice it to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the show, but it did feel slightly cult-ish. There were a lot of references made to "Mr. Sam" ... the founder ... and impressive attendance for a Saturday morning. I do have a new appreciation for their loyalty and true belief in everything the company stands for.
.
If you're interested in hearing the cheer, here's a youtube clip. And, I've given you the lyrics.
Give me a W - A - L - squiggly - M - A - R - T!
What's that spell? Walmart!
Who's Walmart is it? MY Walmart!
Who's #1? The Customer!

Let's just say, I highly doubt I'll jump at the chance to get up at 6:30am on Saturday to attend again in the future. Walmart Saturday Morning Meeting - check!

No comments: