Thursday, July 22, 2010

Almost Famous

Northwest Arkansas is full of amazing charity groups that receive amazing support from local businesses. I'd like to think all the corporations donate money out of the goodness of their hearts, but the real reason is this - Walmart will not mingle with suppliers outside of work and will not except any gifts (or even a cup of coffee at a meeting) ... so the only way to build relationships with Walmart associates is to sponsor and/or participate in charity events that Walmart associates are also supporting.


Enter ... The First Tee Celebrity Golf Tournament. First Tee is a great group that puts on programs for young kids to teach them character building skills through the game of golf. General Mills is a major sponsor for this event, during which we bring in 20 celebrities to play golf on various teams with Walmart associates and any other corporations that want to buy their way into the mix. It's great that we raise so much money for the First Tee Organization, but again, there are ulterior motives going on, so I can't feel 100% warm and fuzzy about it.


Since we were the presenting sponsor, it was our job to coordinate the celebs ... and they needed volunteers to chauffeur them around for the weekend. I graciously signed up, purely out of the goodness of my heart. :)


I was the chauffeur for Brady Quinn, former Notre Dame and Cleveland Browns QB who now plays for the Broncos, and his girlfriend, Alicia Sacramone, gymnast on the women's silver medal team in Beijing. I picked them up at the airport on Friday, took them to and from the golf tournament on Saturday, and back to the airport on Sunday. Tough job, I know, but someone had to do it!


Here I am with my prized possession from the event ... my family will recognize this t-shirt ... it was passed down from my oldest brother, Jeff, to my middle brother, Jason, to me ... it is faded and full of holes and absolutely the coziest piece of clothing ever ... and now it is signed by Brady Quinn! Kyle is just as excited as I am because he absolutely hates this t-shirt ... and with the autograph, I have decided to retire it. (Little does he know, I'm gonna frame it and hang it on the wall so he doesn't get away from it entirely.)



Here I am grabbing pics was some of my favorite celebs ...


Me and Jackie Joyner-Kersee, 4 time Olympian (1984-1996) and gold medalist in heptathalon and long jump. That's me on the right. :)



Me and Darron Sharper, former Packer ... this one was at Kyle's request ... but I didn't mind.



Me and Seth Wescott, Olympic gold medalist in snowboard cross in 2006 and 2010. I had him sign a Wheaties box because his picture made it on the box after the Vancouver Olympics. He was a super cool and very layed back guy. He even came out with us for drinks on Friday night. That's just how I roll!



And, last but not least, the star of the show ... and the cute butt in my car ... Brady Quinn! Really polite guy and easy to talk to. He was super cute with his girlfriend (who came up to my shoulder so he could pretty much put her in his pocket) ... always asking if she was okay, if she needed anything. I guess he even surprised her and changed his flight to meet her in Chicago to fly down together. He even texted me after he got on his plane to fly home ... a little thank you note for driving them around all weekend. In other words, ladies, I got his digits.




What can I say, it's a rough life that I lead. I mean, I'm practically famous.

3 comments:

Casey said...

ummmm would you like to send me that phone number?!?!?! sooo jealous!!!! what a neat experience!!

Castle said...

Great stuff. Love the shirt.

Bekah's Cloth Bums said...

this. is. awesome.