Monday, August 2, 2010

Our Rock Garden

So, I'm not a big fan of landscaping. I mean, I love how it looks, I just don't love creating it. Probably because I haven't taken the time to learn the craft - See our Halloween post last October to learn more about my "half-ass" approach to things to help explain my perspective. :)

As most of our visitors can attest to, our mini-plot of landscaping by the front door leaves a little to be desired. All I can guess is that our contractor threw in whatever plants/bushes/trees he had left to fill it in. There is no pattern and the chosen plants just don't make a whole lot of sense.
.
(and this was after hours of weeding...)



If we were calling this our home for an extended period of time (or had tended to this chore when we first moved in) we probably would have dug everything up and started over. But, we're not (and we didn't) so we just needed to make it look presentable.



Despite the 95 degree and super muggy weather, Kyle and I spent one of our first wide open weekends in Arkansas (together) doing landscaping. The cursing that ensued made us question our decision, but the final result was pretty rewarding.
.


Here's Kyle installing a rack for the hose. I'm sure there's a more technical name for it, but the person that might know doesn't do much of the blogging. Ahem ...




Here we are putting down the weed cloth to act as a barrier for those pesky weeds. Oh, the life of a homeowner ...





...and laying down "decorative" rock ... after our 4th and final visit to Lowe's for the day. I would have gone with mulch (cheaper and easier) but my go-big-or-go-home-husband wins again.




Let me just tell you ... the picture of the finished product does not do this justice ... Had I documented the flower bed WITH the weeds, I think it would have helped. For your everyone's sake, tell us how much you love it next time you're over. :)

.

2 comments:

Bekah's Cloth Bums said...

it looks lovely. :o)

Castle said...

It looks great! I really like the picture of Kyle sitting in the corner as punishment for his potty mouth.