Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Rechtin Family Reunion 2010

At the end of June, I cashed in some frequent flier miles for a short trip to Ohio (sans Kyle as he didn't have the vacation time to burn ... he used it up on some trip to Europe or something.)


First up, I was able to see my best friend, Rocky's, new baby, Ryan Thomas, born one month earlier. ADORABLE, huh!?!??!


She has packed her Tom Boy roots away to become an adorable new mom. In fact, I was visiting on their 4th wedding anniversary so, naturally, we celebrated with some margaritas! Don't worry, we left the baby with Grandma and Grandpa for safe keeping. Congrats to Rocky and Tom! You are a beautiful couple, and I know you'll be wonderful parents!



And here are the three amigos together again, me and my two best friends from growing up, Lisa and Rocky. The three of us have posed together a million times throughout our lives ... but this is the first time we've done it with one of our "mini-me's" in the shot.






Since I was home for family time, I had to get in some quality time with our dog, Sandy. Kyle and I have been talking about getting a dog for years, we just can't agree on what kind or when. I suggest we just steal this one ... she's pretty perfect!



Then it was off to Cincinnati for the Rechtin family reunion ... my mom's side of the family. More specifically, northern Kentucky ... but we get fewer jokes if we just say Cincy. :) My mom grew up in Fort Thomas, right across the Ohio River. We used to spend every Easter with this side of the family, and I truly have some of the best childhood memories from those trips.



Let me fess up, I love my relatives and all ... but I was really influenced to make the trip because my favorite little man, my nephew Vaughn, was going to be there! I told Kyle about the reunion and it took him about 16 seconds to figure out why I wanted to go so bad. But seriously, how can you say no to either of these cute faces!








Our first night we hit up the Hofbrauhaus! I totally didn't plan it this way, but I just mentioned the Hofbrauhaus in Cincinnati in my previous Germany posting (remember, it's second rate to the original) but I'll tell ya, for the area, it's a pretty fun place to go for some good German food and some better German beers! Here's my Dad anxiously awaiting our dinner.





Once again, me with an obscene amount of German food in front of me ... I'm seeing a pattern. This time, the food was actually all mine, only they gave me the wrong side dishes 3 times so I got to keep all the mistakes! Don't worry, I shared (my food, not my beer.)





Vaughn even got in on the action! It's the German in his blood ...





Here we are on Cousin Tom's new toy ... a refurbished fire truck from Ft. Thomas. He took us all on rides and honked the fancy horn. Reunions tend to be a little light on the entertainment so this really was a highlight. Impressive, huh?!?!





Here's little Vaughn doing his best Beyonce impression ... with the wind flowing through his hair ... (or maybe it was just the fan blowing in his face so he didn't overheat, same difference.)





And here we are hanging out with our little cousin, Hayden.




My mom even surprised us all with matching t-shirts with our names on the back. (I said surprise, I didn't say in a good way ... kidding, Mom ... I am actually wearing mine right now.) It was so special to have us all together. Being a family that is spread across the map, it doesn't happen very often. I only wish the other half of me was there to enjoy it. Next time.

1 comment:

Casey said...

you travel more than anyone i know! you guys look like you are always having a blast. love following all of your adventures!