Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pole-less Position

Last weekend, we decided to take advantage of the perfect fall weather and enjoy a little outdoor activity. We joined our friends Greg and Chaney, loaded up two cars (clearly, we were roughing it) and headed almost 3 hours southeast to explore Mt. Nebo. Quite the view.


Here we are at the top of the mountain - Kyle and me, doing my best Kyle impression. I'm not really that tough, but I have been watching quite a bit of Man vs. Wild and Dual Survivor lately, so I was ready for some adventure.


The adventure was off to a slow start when we discovered that our camping plot was literally 2.3 ft. away from the playground. Our idea of a peaceful weekend in Arkansas's natural surroundings did not include screaming kids so we headed back to the visitor center. We were able to trade in our plot for a hike-in campsite, about a mile off the beaten path. Now the adventure began with our multiple trips hauling our gear down the mountain.




The guys headed up the path for the last load of gear, so Chaney and I decided to get a head start on setting up camp. Now, I haven't set up a tent in a while, but I'd like to think I'm a smart girl and can figure out what I need to do. "Hey Chaney. Am I an idiot or aren't there supposed to be poles for this thing?!" At first we thought it was a mean joke by the guys so that the girls would be unsuccessful at setting up camp, but we soon found out that Greg's friend that lent us the tent forgot to give us the poles. Just hilarious.

Luckily, it was still early enough in the day (and we were in Arkansas,) so Greg was able to cruise down to the local Walmart and bring back our fancy new house. Constructed perfectly (with poles) by Chaney and I.

Kyle tended to the fire and whipped up a tasty pot of chili. (You just can't keep a good man out of the kitchen.) We had a lovely evening full of good tunes, good conversation by the glow of the fire, refreshing brews and a critical ingredient of any campfire ... S'mores.



I actually slept really well, for being on the cold, hard ground. Kyle suited me up with a nice sleeping bag and sleeping pad at the REI sale a few years ago so I was camping in comfort (and style, I mean loook at that gorgeous shade of pink!) I had layered on so many clothes while we were hanging out by the fire that I had to unzip my sleeping bag in the middle of the night so that I didn't roast to death, but other than that, pure comfort.


Here we are in the fresh, brisk morning air. I can't say that we smelled very fresh, though, since our clothes still smell like campfire smoke after repeated laundering. But, we sure are cute in our little caps, huh?



We spent the morning exploring some of the hiking trails. Quick photo opp by one of the signs to prove how hardcore we were ...



... and we snapped Greg's cute mug by another sign at the campground. That's right, ladies. He could be all yours! He likes long bike rides, a good cup of coffee and cooks a mean gumbo. Email me for more details. :)



We felt pretty good about our adventurous weekend, until we saw this guy setting up his hang glider to jump off the top of Mt. Nebo. Guess we weren't as hardcore as we thought.



Another great weekend, brought to us by Arkansas: The Natural State.

No comments: