Saturday, October 9, 2010

Piegergogies

No. The title of this blog is not a typo. My father has been known to make up words and this is his name for a pierogie, the Polish dumpling. For as different as Kyle and my father are (Kyle hunts and fishes, my dad goes to the symphony and plays the accordion) they both have an affinity for creating their own language. My dad eats piegergogies and Kyle doesn't go grocery shopping, he grocerizes. Go figure.

Living in Cleveland, and being 98.6% German, we grew up enjoying lots of ethnic fare. While I complained about most of it when I was little, pierogies fit nicely into my plain-Jane "buttered noodles" phase ... the blander the better. Amen that my taste buds eventually came around. Pierogies are much better smothered with sour cream and sauteed onions ... mmmm mmmm.

Thanks to my sister-in-law's mother, Loretta, for sharing her homemade pierogie recipe. And thanks to my husband for enjoying the process of cooking and being up for a challenge on this one. We made quite the mess in the kitchen but the result was delicious!





No comments: