Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Rain in Spain ...

I'll be honest, Barcelona is not as pretty during a torrential downpour. We only had 1 day / 1 night to spend in Barcelona (less the 3 hours we lost in the airport in Paris) so we knew it would be tough to see the city - but we didn't account for solid rain the entire time. As seen in this picture, our raincoats were our favorite accessory.



While we didn't get much of a flavor for the city, we did make sure we saw the most famous of sights that Barcelona has to offer - La Sagrada Familia. It's a temple created by well-known architect Gaudi. Construction began back in the early 1800's and ... get this ... it's still being built! That's right ... they expect another 20 years before they are finally complete. Not only was the temple breathtaking and absolutely massive, you really felt like you were a part of history stepping inside while construction was still going on around you. I've seen a lot of "touristy landmarks" in my years of traveling, but I have to say, this was definitely one of my all time favorites. Beth and I plan to go back in 20 years to see it after completion.



If you look closely at this diagram ... the colored portion of the temple is the completed portion, and the portion outlined in black is yet to come. I can't even believe how big it is going to be ... because it already consumes a ginormous city block.



A gorgeous 3-hour train ride along the coast took us to Valencia, the home of my friend Luis who also lived with me in Copenhagen. (Valencia - pronounced Balenthia in the local Spanish dialect) Get ready ladies, he's a Spanish Stallion!




He gave us a tour of his beautiful city, including the bull fighting arena in the center of town. Seriously, he was like "...and here is our bull fighting arena." As if it's totally normal! Well, in Spain, it is.



The city has a very modern section with a cutting edge Science Center and Opera House as well as the traditional old town with all the history. The weather was gorgeous, and Valencia more than made up for our soggy time in Barcelona.






We continued our strategy of eating through Europe and indulged in some juicy oranges (get it, we're in Valencia, people!) and endulged in a ginormous paella. Apparently, it's lunch fare, but Luis let us order it for dinner so we didn't miss out on the experience.




We were impressed (or disgusted, as the case may be) by the dent we made in this thing! I think that's the American in us.



If you've traveled with me at all, you know I like the secret-behind-the-scenes type shots that people don't even know you are taking. Well, Beth got me good on this one! Really cool shot strolling in Valencia. Funny that there's a Farmacia in the background (Pharmacy) as I had to find one of those in just about ever country to keep myself pumped with allergy medicine. I did not realize that Spring allergies are International - note to self, plan the next big trip in the fall.


Here is the gorgeous central market in town - with fresh vegetables, fruits, meat, spices ... absolutely amazing place to do your daily grocery shopping. Take note of the woman with the mini cart on wheels in the picture ... and if you're ever shopping in a fresh market in Spain - make room for those carts. The old ladies will literally run you over. Beth caught the evil eye from one little Spanish grandma.



Here is the old gate to enter the city, back when it was walled. You can even see holes in it from gunshots during the Civil War.



And, my Ansel Adams shot. I feel so professional anytime I set it to black and white or sepia tone - I just feel professional using the word sepia. I have as much artistic talent as my brothers have in their pinky fingers, so I do what I can.




We climbed to the top of the St. Michelina tower ... making sure to stretch at the top. (We learned the hard way when neither of us could walk the day after climbing Bunker Hill Monument in Boston on a previous trip together.)





Another country complete! And after 3 days here in Spain, Beth demonstrates one of our least favorite, but necessary tasks. If only we could backpack through Europe without having to haul the backpacks. (Similar to my request for Kyle to drive me to my massage, but that's a whole different blog ...)


Italy ... here we come!

No comments: